McCormicks Complaints Procedure
At McCormicks we aim to provide a high level of service to our clients at all times. However, should you have any problems with our service we will attempt to resolve any complaint promptly, fairly and effectively and in accordance with this procedure.
1. Research into complaints has demonstrated that a substantial proportion of them could be resolved quickly if the client spoke to the person dealing with their case in the first instance, rather than pursuing the matter on a formal basis under the Complaints Procedure. We strongly recommend, therefore, that if you do have a problem, which may include an issue about the firm’s bill, you should speak immediately to the person handling your matter.
If you do wish to pursue the matter on a more formal basis then you should write to Philip Edmondson at this firm. .
2. Upon receipt of your complaint, we will give consideration to all the circumstances and establish the most appropriate way forward.
3. Within 14 days of receipt of your complaint we will advise you in writing of the following:
i. how the matter will be dealt with; and
ii. the timescale for dealing with the matter.
4. Upon receipt of this letter, if you have any comments on how we propose to deal with the matter or the timescale suggested then please contact us within 7 days. Any comments made will be considered and any amendments will be confirmed in writing within a further 7 days. If we do not hear from you we will proceed as advised.
5. In most cases we would be expected to provide a final response to your complaint within 8 weeks of receipt.
6. If during the investigation we feel it necessary to extend the timescale to ensure that it is conducted adequately we will inform you at the earliest opportunity.
7. We will keep a record of all steps of the investigation.
8. Once the matter has been thoroughly investigated we will respond to your complaint within the timescale determined.
9. We will not charge for the cost of handling the complaint.
10. We hope that we will be able to resolve your complaint and provide an acceptable response and, if necessary, an adequate solution. However if you feel that the matter has not been concluded satisfactorily then you may contact the Legal Ombudsman at the following address:
PO Box 6806
Telephone number: 03005550333
11. There are time limits in relation to complaints to the Legal Ombudsman. Any complaint should be received by the Legal Ombudsman no later than 12 months from when the problem occurred or from when you should reasonably have become aware of the problem. Plus, the matter should be taken to the Legal Ombudsman within 6 months of receiving a final response from us regarding your complaint.
12. Where your concern relates to our bill, you have the right to object to the bill by applying to the court for an assessment of the bill under Part III of the Solicitors Act 1974. The Legal Ombudsman may not deal with a complaint regarding our bill if you have applied to the court for assessment of that bill.
13. If you are dissatisfied with the service offered by any of our employees who are members of STEP, you have the right to contact STEP directly. Their contact details are as follows:
11-19 Artillery Row
020 3752 3700
14. If you wish to contact the SRA to report any concerns or complaints about the firm or an individual at the firm, details of how to do so are on the SRA Website at: https://www.sra.org.uk/consumers/problems/report-solicitor/.
Please Click Here to view this page as a PDF