McCormicks has a national reputation for employment work. It advises businesses of all types and private individuals on all aspects of employment law.
Employment law is notably far reaching and will affect the majority of businesses and individuals throughout their lifetime. As an area of law, employment is one of the most highly regulated and the legal framework is constantly changing. Here at McCormicks, we have the expertise and experience to guide you through the laws and regulations in a manner that is clear and concise. Our work in the employment sector is not limited to “the law”. A growing number of the cases we handle are HR focused and we are firm believers in addressing the practical needs of businesses and individuals.
For business clients, prevention is often better than cure. We can assist you in making the best decisions in order to limit liability, get the best out of your staff and be sure that your policies and procedures are compliant with the relevant regulations. Unfortunately, businesses will face employment proceedings at some time and we are best placed to help fight your case.
For individuals, both contentious and non-contentious matters are likely to be stressful and we fully appreciate the need for clear, understandable and cost-effective advice.
With the right advice and procedures in place, it is still possible to get the job done - or if conflict is inevitable, to stand your corner without fear.
McCormicks can take you step by step through all you need to know or do to make employment work.
McCormicks also works in conjunction with various organisations, both locally and nationally in providing workshops and seminars on employment law issues.
The range of the department's activities is demonstrated by the following examples:
- Conducting Employment Tribunal proceedings in a variety of cases including age, sex and race discrimination, employment status, disability discrimination and unfair dismissal issues.
- Senior employees' settlements, on behalf of both employer and employee clients, where the sums involved have been up to seven figures.
- Advising on the significance of and litigation position regarding confidentiality and post termination restrictions, particularly in conjunction with the preparation of contracts of employment in association with our commercial department.
- Advising on the transfer of undertakings, in particular in the context of “outsourcing - change of contracts” matters.
- Advising employers in the context of trade union recognition issues.
- Advising on the implementation of Employee Share Schemes.
- Drafting and negotiating Settlement Agreements, both for Claimants and Respondents.
- In a more specialist capacity advising the F.A. Premier League on the proposed new standard players’ contract of employment and the League’s dealings with the Professional Footballers Association (P.F.A).
- Handling the employment work for Professional Game Match Officials Limited.
“Well known and appreciated for dispensing quality, strategically effective advice, this team has a ‘tremendous sense of direction and clarity of execution that drives cases to an effective conclusion.’” Chambers UK
“This team impresses clients with its astute, business-focussed advice. Clients say that the group provides London-quality advice at regional rates.” Chambers UK
“This group has vast experience in handling Tribunal matters, redundancies, senior employee settlements and compromise agreements. It is well regarded in the sports sector and acts for the Premier League on all aspects of its employment policy. Sources praise the group for its ‘great breadth of knowledge, common-sense approach and high quality advice.’” Chambers UK
“This team stands out for its ‘determined and thorough approach’ to advising corporate employers and individual employees.” Chambers UK
“Peter McCormick heads a multi-disciplinary team at McCormicks, and gives ‘invaluable advice’. Clients include Harrogate International Festivals.” - Legal 500