Mediation & Arbitration
Mediation is becoming an increasingly popular method for resolving disputes that would previously have been fought out through the Courts. The process is flexible, confidential and almost certainly cheaper in terms of time and legal costs than the alternative of going to Court.
McCormicks have a wealth of experience in this alternative area of dispute resolution and can help you as one of the parties.
Another alternative to going to Court is for disputing parties to take their case to arbitration. Intended to be quicker and cheaper than Court Proceedings and arbitrator will decide the outcome of the dispute, generally based on evidence presented in accordance with rules agreed between those parties and the Arbitrator.
Iain Jenkins is a CEDR accredited Mediator and an accredited workplace Mediator and mediates disputes when instructed by other law firms and organisations.
We are a highly regarded, Award-winning practice. Awards won by the firm or our lawyers include the following:
- Corporate Solicitors of the Year - Corporate Live Wire
- North East Law Firm of the Year - Corporate Vision UK Law Firm of the Year Awards
- Yorkshire Law Firm of the Year
- Mergers and Acquisitions Law Firm of the Year UK - Finance Monthly Law Awards
- Most Innovative Media and Entertainment Law Firm UK - Acquisition International
- Corporate Crime Law Firm of the Year in England - Corporate INTL Magazine Global Award
- Most Innovative Law Firm in the Region - Acquisition International
- Sports Law - Law Firm of the Year in England - Corporate INTL Magazine Global Awards
- Top 10 firm in the Region for the strength of its online brand - Northern Lights Top 100 Yorkshire Law Firms
- Yorkshire Lawyer of the Year - Peter McCormick
- The Best Lawyers in the UK - Criminal Practice - Geoffrey Rogers
- The Best Lawyers in the UK - Sports Law - Peter McCormick
- Niche Practice Lawyer of the Year - Peter McCormick
- Sports Lawyer of the Year in England - Global Law Experts - Peter McCormick
- Sports Lawyer of the Year - Lawyer Monthly - Peter McCormick
- Lifetime Achievement in Business Award - Ackrill Media Group - Peter McCormick
Peter McCormick is a Chairman of the Sports Dispute Resolution Panel and the team at McCormicks has a wealth of experience in arbitrating and mediating on sports related disputes.
“This Professional Discipline team impresses clients with ‘its cooperative work ethic. The lawyers make you feel important and they prioritise your work.’” Chambers UK.
“Clients dub Peter McCormick ‘an intellectually clever, commercially astute lawyer who is very good to have on your side in a time of crisis.’ He applies his great depth of experience and legal knowledge in a calm and efficient manner.” Chambers UK
“McCormicks’ Peter McCormick has an excellent reputation for contentious and non-contentious work across broadcasting, IP rights and sponsorship and for defamation complaints relating to print and broadcast media.” UK Legal 500
“Clients say the firm is ‘a very professional outfit with excellent credentials, contacts and knowledge.’"
"Peter McCormick is known for his experience in sports law and has a reputation as being a powerful advocate of his client’s case. Clients say he is a ‘very commercial, straight-talking lawyer who is incredibly driven with a clear determination to succeed.’” Chambers UK
“Clients say ‘They don’t just lay down the law. The advice we receive is pragmatic, common-sense and fits with the environment we are working within. Peter McCormick offers clients an authentic understanding of sports regulation and is applauded by sources for infusing his advice with commercial sense.’” Chambers UK
“According to one source this team ‘does what is said on the tin.’ Peter McCormick is ‘thoroughly competent and absolutely responsive.’” Chambers UK
“McCormicks is ‘a market leader in the field of sports law’. Peter McCormick is an ‘able advocate and a fearsome opponent’, and his ‘vast experience has allowed him to gain the ear of The Premier League’. He recently acted in arbitration proceedings relating to the FA’s Rule K, brought by Leyton Orient concerning the decision to approve West Ham United’s move to the Olympic Stadium. Philip Edmondson joined from Cobbetts LLP to head the litigation team.” Legal 500
“McCormicks’ Neil Goodrum has a national reputation as a mediator in contract and commercial cases. Recent highlights include mediating a boundary dispute between estate owners; and a clinical negligence dispute regarding treatment in an NHS Hospital.” - Legal 500
“CEDR Chambers' Neil Goodrum is a former equity partner at McCormicks (where he remains a consultant). Goodrum has mediated cases involving commercial and contractual issues, employment, partnerships, shareholder claims, professional negligence, clinical negligence and personal injury. Other areas include sports law, sale of goods and services, commercial property and trusts and probate.” - Legal 500