David is the Head of the Commercial Disputes and Sports Litigation Team. The team offers a wide range of litigation services to both individuals and businesses, which incorporates Corporate and Commercial Recovery and Insolvency.
Before becoming a solicitor David headed up the North Yorkshire Trading Standards Consumer Advice Team and Special Investigations Team dealing with Regulatory matters and specialising in Anti-counterfeiting matters.
David has also spent time working for the Department of Trade and Industry specialising in Directors Disqualification and Insolvency. David is a member of R3.
David has significant experience with matters involving: breach of contract, unfair prejudice claims, partnership disputes, professional negligence (claimant and defendant), landlord and tenant, dilapidations claims, HM Land Registry and matters with multi-jurisdictional elements, sports disputes (arbitrations, tribunals and FA, Premier League and EFL regulatory matters). His specialisms are in insolvency (individual and corporate) and Directors Disqualification Act Proceedings.
In relation to regulatory matters, David acts for professionals in relation to disciplinary matters, with a particular emphasis on registered pharmacists. This work is wide ranging, involving aspects including representation before professional regulators.
David brings an approach which will always be tailored to client priorities. It is always proportionate to the matter in hand and involves a cost benefit analysis at the earliest possible stage. David advocates all appropriate forms of alternative dispute resolution to seek to resolve disputes as quickly and cost effectively as possible.
David acts for a broad range of clients, including insurers, national and international corporates, entrepreneurs, large family estates, insolvency practitioners (and those facing claims by them), charities, the Premier League, Leeds United FC and professional players and managers.
David’s team can offer advice and experience in other matters such as:
- All aspects of Commercial Litigation including business, Partnership and Company disputes.
- Regulatory matters including Public Contract Procurement.
- Sports and Regulatory disputes.
- Property litigation including advising on commercial leases and property disputes.
- Professional negligence claims.
- Employment litigation particularly in respect of the commercial impact on business where contracts of employment are breached.
- Mediation, Arbitration and Alternative Dispute Resolution (ADR) – advising and guiding clients through the ADR process with a view to reducing costs of Litigation.
- Directors Disqualification Act proceedings
- Matters relating to Insolvency and Bankruptcy including both personal and corporate Insolvency.
What People Say About David...
“David was solicitor with the skills and knowledge to fight our case. Thank you David – Cresit sub pondere virtus [Virtue increases under oppression].” The Farmers Creed
“Enjoyed the interaction with David Birks on a civil matter. Great advice, whilst the courts appeared in disarray David controlled the case on our behalf. Happy to recommend David and his firm, great service and value.” Client Feedback
"Thank you so much David. I can truly recommend you. I certainly will not go anywhere else." Client Feedback